Should Mom Move? If So, Where?

In this issue, you met Jackie, who lives at Gidwitz Place, where her needs are well met. But how do you know what housing is right for your mom or dad? Consider these important factors: your parents’ care needs, finances and the service and support available in their community. Here are some housing options:

Independent living communities have maintenance-free housing for seniors with lifestyles that include meals, housekeeping, transportation, amenities and social and educational programs. Payment structures vary.

Assisted living residences (like Gidwitz Place) are designed for those who need extra help in their day-to-day lives but who do not require the 24-hour skilled nursing care found in traditional nursing homes. They typically provide housekeeping, meals and some personal care services, such as assistance with bathing, dressing, medication reminders and other tasks as defined by need.

Skilled nursing communities (like Lieberman Center) provide nursing services 24 hours a day to those individuals who require high levels of personal and medical care. The services can include the administration of injections, monitoring of blood pressure, managing ventilators and intravenous feedings to individuals who cannot function independently. Residents usually require help with the majority of their self-care needs. Medicaid may help cover costs. Lieberman Center also offers residential short-term rehabilitation which provides therapies after a serious injury or illness.

From assessing one’s housing needs to helping with the actual move, Your Eldercare Consultants can help. Call 773.508.1015 or visit