by Mary Keen
Healthcare excellence has always been a priority at Lieberman Center for Health and Rehabilitation. The range and quality of regular and specialized care that Lieberman Center provides across the healthcare continuum exceeds the standard of care. Medical care at Lieberman Center is outcome-driven, that is, focused on measuring results to fully document a patient’s progress. It is also multidisciplinary, comprehensive and focused on reducing hospital readmissions.
What really sets Lieberman Center apart and makes it the rehabilitation center of choice for many providers is the sheer number of board-certified specialists from a wide variety of medical disciplines who enjoy privileges at Lieberman Center.
This is a unique advantage for all involved: Patients do not have to travel off-site to other locations to have their special healthcare needs met; and physicians who refer their patients to Lieberman know that their patients are being cared for by highly-skilled, compassionate staff members who practice person- centered care.
“Lieberman Center is advancing its number of medical and nursing clinical specialties to meet the needs of hospitalized patients requiring complex post-acute medical and rehabilitation treatment and care.”
—Ron Benner, Executive Director of Lieberman Center
Lieberman Center is proud to provide access to 54 board-certified specialists who have privileges to admit and consult on the needs of patients. The specialties represented are:
- Family Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Wound Care and Surgery
Our external credentialed specialists, Lieberman’s own core of physicians, skilled nurses and multidisciplinary staff members all work as a team to enable Lieberman to offer the following specialty programs:
- Center for Heart Health—A model program that provides multidisciplinary care and rehab for congestive heart failure and its underlying conditions (heart attack, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.) with advanced technology to monitor a patient’s sodium, weight and medication under the direction of a board-certified cardiologist.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program (see below).
- Dialysis Program—Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis, led by a board-certified nephrologist, provides less stressful on-site dialysis that speeds recovery. A dialysis nurse, dietician and social worker help with patient education and training.
- Infusion Program—Nursing staff and specialists provide medicines and fluids requiring delivery through infusion, such as intravenous medications, antibiotics and nutrition therapy, while pharmacists monitor infusion prescriptions.
- Wound Care Program—New and treatment-resistant wounds, such as pressure sores, infectious wounds and post-operative wounds, are treated under the direction of board-certified wound and foot surgeons, as well as a physiatrist.
- Lieberman +30 Transitional Care Program—Patients discharged from Lieberman receive a detailed discharge plan and a Transitional Care Nurse visits patients within 72 hours after they return home to provide sustained monitoring for 30 days which may reduce the chances of re-hospitalization.
With all of its resources, Lieberman Center also offers long- term care for those with complex medical needs. Examples of Lieberman Center’s advanced healthcare offerings are: Alzheimer’s Special Care, a Parkinson’s Disease Program and Hospice and Palliative Care.
Lieberman Center Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Launched
Lieberman Center for Health and Rehabilitation recently launched its new Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program. The Program is designed to provide individualized care to patients who have diseases of the lungs.
The Lieberman Center Pulmonary Rehab Program is led by Dr. Maher Najjar, a board-certified Pulmonologist who works in close collaboration with an interdisciplinary team that includes highly- experienced specialists from the following disciplines: Internal Medicine, Physiatry (a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation specialty), Infectious Disease, Cardiology and Physical and Occupational Therapy.
Patients with the following acute and chronic conditions will be treated in the Program, which utilizes outcomes-based care that keeps close track of patient progress:
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease such as Asthma and Emphysema)
- Lung Cancer
- Sleep Apnea
- Other diseases of the respiratory system
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program staff consists of specially-trained nurses and skilled technicians. Our team of Registered Nurses, supported by a Registered Respiratory Therapist, has been trained in special procedures such as:
- Inhalation Therapy (Nebulizer Treatments)
- Infusion Therapy
- Bi-PAP with night-time telemetry monitoring to evaluate therapeutic effects of the device.
Another important feature of the Program is bedside chest X-rays and bedside laboratory testing that allows patients to remain in bed, avoiding disruptive and stressful transports. These valuable diagnostic and evaluative tools are available 24-hours a day, seven days a week for constant monitoring of patients’ conditions.
Besides its impressive record of credentialing many board-certified specialists, Lieberman Center is the ONLY free-standing skilled care facility in the Chicago area accredited for Medical Rehabilitation and Person-Centered Care by CARF (International Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities). Call 847.929.3320 for a tour and see why.