“The test of a people is how it behaves toward the old.”
Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Thank you so very much for considering volunteering with CJE SeniorLife in celebration of your important Jewish lifecycle event! We look forward to discovering a meaningful Mitzvah Project in which you can be engaged during this time of learning and exploration. Together, we can find an opportunity that will be meaningful to you as you prepare to participate in the larger community as a young adult.
CJE has been in the Chicagoland area for almost 50 years and offers comprehensive, diversified, and innovative eldercare services. We are a non-profit service organization serving over 20,000 older adults and family members in a multitude of ways including life enrichment, supportive resources, healthcare, research, and education.
What sets CJE apart from other organizations is our mission to enhance the lives of older adults. Our 600+ employees work in a variety of settings: independent housing, assisted living, home-delivered meals, transportation, long and short-term skilled nursing care, adult day services, geriatric care management, health and wellness activities, support groups for clients and caregivers, and numerous lifelong learning opportunities.
We look forward to meeting you to explore potential projects such as:
- Assist with games, activities, or events taking place in our residences.
- Lead or assist with religious celebrations such as delivering Shabbat bags (Friday afternoons) and Shabbat services.
- Perform musical instruments, plays/stage readings, talent show, travelogue, and more (may be recorded).
- Prepare decorations, centerpieces, décor, prizes, and/or greeting cards for holidays or events (e.g., Sukkot, Pesach, Birthdays, etc.). These gifts have been warmly received and welcomed by our residents.
- Donations: Organize an event (bake sale, car wash, etc.) to raise funds which can be used to host a celebration or event at a residence or facility.
We welcome other ideas and encourage you to think about projects that call upon your special skills and interests. Would you like to lead a sports trivia game or help older adults learn how to use a smartphone or tablet? Let’s talk about what you would like to do that would bring joy to all involved.
Early Mazel Tov to you and your family! We look forward to being part of this special time in your life.
In addition to the projects listed above, for those who reside in the Chicago northern suburbs, we have an additional unique opportunity. Please check out the Mitzvah Program Description.