As a person ages, it is important to have support. Significant changes can have a major impact on a senior's attitude, energy level and mental health.
These changes and adjustments often include:
- A move to a new senior community or other setting
- Changes in one’s own health
- End of life issues
- Death of a loved one
Counseling with a skilled therapist who specializes in issues relevant to older adults can help individuals identify, understand, and work through their emotional responses to major life transitions.
If an older adult is experiencing any of the following symptoms, counseling could be helpful.
- Inability to relax
- Difficulty concentrating
- Avoiding social situations and friends
- Insomnia or sleeping too much
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Loss of interest or pleasure in life and activities
- Feeling irritable or angry
- Difficulty with relationships
- Feeling that life isn’t worth living
CJE Counseling Services also offers PEARLS, another option among our full complement of individual and group treatment for the mental health concerns of older adults. PEARLS -- Program to Encourage Active Rewarding LiveS -- is a national evidence-based program for late-life depression. PEARLS Counselors meet individually with older adults for eight sessions to help them identify and solve problems that they are confronting in their lives. PEARLS also helps individuals to become more socially and physically active (within their level of ability), so they become less isolated, begin moving forward again, and create a positive spiral of renewed energy and growth, even in the face of life’s challenges.
Medicare, Insurance and Private Pay
Individual Counseling is covered by Medicare and private insurance.
Home visits are available on the Northside of Chicago and in the surrounding suburbs.
- CJE Main Offices, 3003 W. Touhy Ave., Chicago, IL
- Weinberg Community Center, 1551 Lake Cook Rd., Deerfield, IL
Services are also available in Russian and Spanish.
To schedule a first appointment or to make a referral, please call 773.508.1000.