The Bureau of Sages is a research advisory board made up of Lieberman Center Community Members.
Members of the Bureau share experiences, build knowledge, and develop skills for working together to provide voice to the direction, design, and implementation of research on aging.
Empowering nursing home community members and stay-at-home elders to learn and collaborate with researchers to advocate for timely, useful studies that matter to them.
Improved lives for older adults as the result of Patient-Centered research.
In order to fulfill our mission and realize our vision for research driven by older adults, the Bureau of Sages aspires to a set of core values to guide our work. These values are defined below:
- Speaking Our Language – Using communication strategies that enable older adults to understand researchers and other professionals.
- Listening – Fostering the art of listening so that older adults “feel heard.”
- Compassion – Taking the time to feel or empathize with what older adults feel.
- Mutual Understanding and Respect – Actively reaching out to understand each other in respectful ways.
- Sharing Perspectives through Open Dialogue – Fostering conversations that result in a meeting of the minds through the sharing of diverse views and concerns from all participants on the Bureau.
- Unity through Teamwork – Working together as patients and professionals to achieve shared goals and outcomes.
This program was funded through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award (PCORI Engagement Award #2640-CJE). A second Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award (7206-CJE) was added for Creating Older Adult Research Advisory Boards.